This month UCoach have invited Matt Fellingham to share his experience of teaching tots within a club programme.
Matt is Head Coach at Royston Tennis Club. He currently has 66 under 5′s in the core programme with a very long waiting list. He is fortunate to have a wife who is a nursery school teacher and his first piece of advice is to listen and to learn from those who have real experience of working with very young children. Whenever possible Matt employs nursery assistants to work within the clubs tots programme.
Continuing our series on Teaching Tots this week Matt Fellingham, Head Coach at Royston Tennis Club shares his wealth and knowledge to pinpoint what exactly he thinks Tots aged 3-5 should learn and what exactly is it that they need.
* commands of the coach for starting and stopping
* rules of an activity
* boundaries in/out
* counting… Colours
* cooperation working with a partner
* seeing, copying, listening.
* watching is an important part of learning
In this the final series focusing on Teaching Tots we see Matt Fellingham, Head Coach at Royston Tennis Club sharing his wealth of knowledge to pinpoint what exactly he thinks makes a good coach for this specific age group, and how they should approach the delivery of sessions.
What should the coach do
* provide a safe environment by defining the playing area
* have simple command words for starting and stopping activities
* use markers, spots, cones to define where children stand and return to
* delivering simple tasks on an individual basis until children mature into being able to cooperate